Finally, at April 23rd 2015, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet officially released. Actually, no big changes except systemd is officially implemented in Ubuntu 15.04. We get some new updated applications, a new official web browser by Ubuntu, small Unity improvements, and some others. You will get download links, some reviews, and what to do after install in this article. Enjoy!
|Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet Login Screen|
Here is a table of Ubuntu current releases. You should note that Ubuntu 15.04 released this month and will experience the end of life (no support again) in January 2016. Ubuntu 15.04 is released as regular release, it means it will get official support only for 9 months.
|Version||Code Name||Support Duration||Release Date||End of Life Date|
|Ubuntu 15.04||Vivid Vervet||Regular (9 months)||April 23, 2015||January 2016|
|Ubuntu 14.10||Utopic Unicorn||Regular (9 month)||October 23, 2014||July 2015|
|Ubuntu 14.04||Trusty Tahr||LTS (5 years)||April 17, 2014||April 2019|
|Ubuntu 12.04||Precise Pangolin||LTS (5 years)||April 26, 2012||April 2017|
|Ubuntu 10.04||Lucid Lynx||LTS (5 years)||April 29, 2010||May 9, 2013|
You can download Ubuntu 15.04 and its official variants from these links.
- Ubuntu: http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.04/
- Kubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/15.04/release/
- Lubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/15.04/release/
- Xubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/15.04/release/
- Ubuntu MATE: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/15.04/release/
- Ubuntu GNOME: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/15.04/release/
- Ubuntu Studio: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/15.04/release/
- Ubuntu Kylin: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntukylin/releases/15.04/release/
1. Vivid WallpapersUbuntu opened wallpaper contest for Vivid in Flickr. The finalists have selected and Ubuntu has new wallpapers in Vivid release. You can use them in Vivid or for you can download the wallpapers pack from Launchpad (14 MB).
|Ubuntu Default Wallpaper||Tenerife Roques de Anaga|
2. Unity 7.3Ubuntu 15.04 gets Unity 7.3 and Compiz 0.9.12. In Unity, we get local menu on every window as the most notable feature. In Compiz, we get bug fixes for NVIDIA proprietary driver.
|Application Menu in Window Title Bar|
3. LibreOffice 4.4LibreOffice 4.4 brings many improvements such as version tracking in Writer, more statistic functions in Calc, OpenGL support for slide transition in Impress, many bugfixes, and so on. You can read the details from https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.4.
4. Kernel 3.19Ubuntu brings Linux kernel 3.19, which is modified kernel by Ubuntu Team (as usual). It is not the latest Linux kernel (4.x). You can read easy-to-understand details about 3.19 in http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.19.
|Vivid Linux Kernel Version|
5. SystemdSystemD replaced Upstart in Ubuntu 15.04. All Ubuntu variants (except Ubuntu Touch) has used systemd as default init system. SystemD, Upstart, SystemV, are the names for init system. An init system is the first process initialized among all processes in the Ubuntu system. SystemD handles the init system for Ubuntu now, replacing old systemV-like init system such as Upstart. Beyond the big debates about systemd outside, you will find your Ubuntu starts faster with it. You can read about systemd in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd.
6. Nautilus 3.14.2Beside GTK 3.14 library, Ubuntu 15.04 brings also Nautilus 3.14.
7. Another ApplicationsUbuntu 15.04 brings another updated applications such as
- GTK Library 3.14
- Shotwell 0.20.2
- Firefox 37.0
- Thunderbird 31.6.0
- Cheese 3.14.1
- Transmission 2.84
- Remmina Desktop Client 1.1.0
- Ubuntu Browser
What To Do After Install
After installing Ubuntu, usually you need to enable all your official repositories first via Software Sources program. Then Reload (sudo apt-get update) the repository information so Ubuntu knows all repositories are enabled. Probably you want to change the server into your local server at your country too. Do it in Software Sources.
|Repository Indexes Reloading|
We have a complete article about what to do after install here.