One of must have applications for Windows is a download accelerator which can multiplies your download speed. Internet Download Manager is one of popular applications in the category. How about Linux users like us? Do we have such application in Linux, especially Ubuntu? There are many good alternatives for download manager and or download accelerator from non fancy interface (terminal based applications) like prozilla, wget, aria, etc upto a full featured download manager like JDownloader. A new Linux users who often works with Internet Download Manager might find some difficulties when switching to those alternatives, so Xtremen Download Manager (XDMan) comes with a friendly user internet, like Internet Download Manager.
Xtreme Download Manager is an advanced and powerful Java powered application which claims that it can increase download speed up-to 500%! It also support pause and resume broken download and capture FLV videos from any sites.
XTreme Download Manager features:
- Download files at maximum possible speed. ( 5-6 times faster )
- Sophisticated dynamic file segmentation algorithm,data compression & connection reuse.
- Download FLV videos from YouTube, MySpaceTV, Google Video or Any Other site
- Capture download from any browser (Firefox,Chrome,Internet Explorer,Opera,Safari or any other program trying to download a file from Internet)
- Supports HTTP,HTTPS,FTP protocols with Authentication,Proxy Servers, Cookies, Redirection etc.
- Resumes broken/dead downloads caused by connection problem,power failure or session expiration
- Highly portable. Runs on any O.S with Java SE 6. No need for installation.
- Can be configured to perform Automatic Antivirus checking, System shutdown on download completion
Install Xtreme Download Manager on Ubuntu
Actually, there is no need to install XDMan on Ubuntu because it is portable so you can run it without installing. Please make sure you have JRE installed on your system, if no run the following command:
Once installed, download Xtreme Download Manager here. Once downloaded, extract the archive and run "sh xdman.sh" (without quotes).
- sudo apt-get install default-jre
Notice: Although there is Firefox integration features and ability to download FLV videos from many websites, I have no luck on doing that. Xtreme Download Manager said that "XDM can not capture downloads from this browser." even the Firefox extension has been installed.
So, if you guys have any suggestion about the problem, please let me know :)