Two Ubuntu brothers a.k.a derivatives: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS have been released. Let's start with Kubuntu! Kubuntu is a derivative of Ubuntu which uses K Desktop Environment (KDE) instead of Unity, it provides beautiful and elegant desktop experience for its users. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years.
What's new in this release:
- Improvements in speed and rendering in Dolphin
- Redesigned power management configuration - settings are now Activity-aware
- New Icon Tasks provides an alternative icon-only taskbar
- Amarok 2.5 updates
- Rekonq and OwnCloud Updates
- And more!
Download Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
In other news, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is now available for download. It will be supported for three years per Xubuntu LTS plan. Xubuntu is a simple, fast, and lightweight alternative of Ubuntu which uses XFCE as its desktop environment.
Xubuntu 12.04 LTS release notes:
- The i386 images use a non-PAE kernel. The non-PAE kernel will not be available in future Xubuntu releases.
- Some default shortcuts have been changed, added and deleted. See New default shortcut keys for the complete list.
- Pavucontrol is used instead of xfce4-mixer due to latter not supporting Pulseaudio
- The Alacarte menu editor is installed by default and will work with Xfce-related menu items as well
- Lots of appearance improvements, including new branding, fixes for Greybird, Ubiquity, Plymouth, LightDM and Terminal theming
- Syncs, updates and patches from Debian and upstream, including xfce4-power-manager, Ristretto and gmusicbrowser
- xfdesktop4 updated to support single-click opening and thumbnail support for the desktop
- xfce4-settings has been updated to include the new mouse and touchpad dialog
Download Xubuntu 12.04 LTS