Ubuntu WebApps is a new feature which will be installed by default on the next Ubuntu releases. This feature allows us to integrate many web applications to work seamlessly with our desktop. We can check how many unread emails in our Gmail inbox, control last.fm music from Ubuntu Sound Menu and receive notifications from Facebook, Google Plus, and other social networks right on our desktop. Mmm, it's an irony, while Mozilla tries to put desktop application to the web by its Firefox OS, now Ubuntu tries to bring web applications to desktop, well, just my opinion :)
As you can see the pictures above, we can integrate Facebook via Ubuntu System Settings and receive notification via Ubuntu Messaging Menu (Gwibber service).
Install Ubuntu WebApps on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin
Please note that Ubuntu WebApps is still under active development so don't expect too much on its features and you might encounter some bugs.
Please run the following commands to install Ubuntu WebApps:
Once, installation process finished, restart your session (logout and login back).
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webapps/preview
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install unity-webapps-preview
If you want to revert the changes back, simply run the following commands:
- sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
- sudo ppa-purge ppa:webapps/preview
- sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center-signon signond signon-keyring-extension signon-plugin-oauth2 signon-ui libunity-webapps-chromium unity-chromium-extension unity-lens-gdocs unity-lens-photo unity-scope-flickr xul-ext-webaccounts xul-ext-unity xul-ext-websites-integration
For additional information, below is a demo video showing us about Ubuntu WebApps: