There are many interesting thing we can discuss about ubuntu, start from the story behind this project, a man behind ubuntu, desktop appearance, up to technical information about this Linux Distro. Talking of Ubuntu, have you know all things that mention below ?. For those who are seeking information about the ubuntu, here are 20 thing (at least) that should know of Ubuntu Linux Distro :
- Ubuntu Is the Most popular Linux distribution right now (here). Distrowatch.com is such project/website which give observation on some linux distro trend and release, Distrowatch put ubuntu as the most popular distro on last 12 Month.
- Ubuntu Founded by Mark shuttleworth under Cononical Ltd. Mark Richard Shuttleworth (born 18 September 1973) is a South African entrepreneur who was the second self-funded space tourist. Shuttleworth founded Canonical Ltd. and as of 2010, provides leadership for the Ubuntu operating system. this man is the most meritorious people in ubuntu history.
- How to spell Ubuntu : |oǒ'boǒntoō|. The word ubuntu has its origin in the Bantu languages of southern Africa. Ubuntu is seen as a classical African concept, here.
- The name of ubuntu is maen humanity to others in English.
- The Ubuntu Slogan is Linux for human beings.
- Ubuntu's first release was in 20 October 2004, here.
- The official name of an Ubuntu release is "Ubuntu X.YY" with X representing the year (minus 2000) and YY representing the month of eventual release within in that year.
- Ubuntu official name release always followed by official codename release, ubuntu codename consisted of two syllables takes from Adjective + Animal Name (here). You can give suggestion to the next ubuntu codename release by trough link.
- The First ubuntu release is name Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog) and the latest release is name Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal).
- Ubuntu has been relesed 14 times, excluding ubuntu alpha and beta version.
- Ubuntu will release every 6 (six) month.
- Ubuntu LTS (Long Time/Term Support) would release every 4 regular release. what is LTS (Long Time/Term Support) mean can be find in our previous post here.
- Ubuntu releases are supported for 18 months. Ubuntu LTS (Long Time/Term Support) releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.
- The longest ubuntu support release is 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron, (2008-04 until 2013-04).
- There are 10 variant of ubuntu right now, and many remaster distro based on its. can be check in here and here
- At least 10 core team are involved in Ubuntu Project, they are : Accessibility, Artwork, Community, Distributions, Hardware, Marketing and Advocacy, Quality Assurance and Packaging, Software Developers, Support and Documentation, and Training.
- Ubuntu base color is Orange, ubuntu orange color is = #dd4814
- On latest release Ubuntu 11.04, ubuntu switch from Gnome Desktop to Unity.
- Ubuntu Font Family is an OpenType TTF based font, Designed by Dalton Maag, this font became the new default font since ubuntu 10.10, here.
- 1,781,065 websites are running Ubuntu Server, here.
- The Ubuntu brand logo brand has changed from the original, the new ubuntu brand logo was is inspired by the idea of "Light", the logo is consist of ubuntu name and circle of friend logo on the right top corner (here).
|Ubuntu Logo Transformation|
- Ubuntu was supported by people arround the world (community) named Loco team (a Loco is short of Local Community), you can join with the nearest Loco here.
There is left behind ?, any else idea ?