Wine Is Not Emulator. It allows you to install and run many Windows software on other operating system. Wine is suitable for Linux users who can't live without any Windows application. Although Wine is still under active development and not every application works yet, however there are already several million people using Wine to run their favorite Windows application.
Wine has gained a new version 1.5.4 which brings a lot of improvements and bug fixes, including better support for Microsoft Office, Adobe Premiere, and many games.
What's new in this release:
- A new DirectSound resampler.
- A Negotiate authentication provider.
- OpenGL support in the DIB engine.
- Beginnings of support for .NET mixed assemblies.
- Support routines for Internationalized Domain Names.
- Various bug fixes.
Install Wine 1.5.4 on Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can the latest version of Wine easily by typing the following commands:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install wine1.5
If you need help installing application or game via Wine, please take a closer look at Wine Application Database for assistance.